The Sutton Hoo ship’s Company

We travelled up to Woodbridge over the weekend and visited the Sutton Hoo Ship’s Company, who are actively celebrating  Anglo Saxon craftmanship with a full scale 88ft long rowing ship,  these images are of the  scale model. We became familiar with Sutton Hoo after seeing the 2021 film The Dig staring Ralph Fiennes;   standing beside the actual work in progress vessel  really gives a sense of its enormity, it was really worth the visit!

All change!

We have been with the same Galvanisers for over thirty years, but sadly they are no longer prepared to collect from sunny Hendon, so we have had to find an alternative.

We are struggling with the new company called Acrow Galvanizing  they are polite, there galvanizing is very good, they are efficient, the prices are good and therefore nothing like the last lot!

We are just not used to this sort of  service!

Not exactly living the dream!

                                                                                  This is Thursday morning  at Parkstone Yacht club unloading and assembling Flying Fifteen trolleys.

           As I say not exactly living the dream.


Best of Show at the 2024 RYA Dinghy Exhibition.

This is the third year  of the Dinghy Show at Farnborough , and I think we are used to this modern format.  I really enjoyed my visit, and not working on a stand  is a bit like eating  supper  it’s always more enjoyable when you haven’t had to prepare it. Loved the interactive Cadet and  the  beautiful  artwork on the Synergy Europe, best of show was an easy decision it was the The Great Fish and Chip Bus. I always feel  it’s  jolly  important to keep a sense of proportion!

Spring Clean!

I know we are hardly in spring, but we need the space so we hired a skip, and threw out all of our old showroom clothing models.

All good,  except one tried to climb  out!

Well done Alan!

Alan Warren has just been nominated Seahorse Magazine’s Sailor of the Month for February.  Our first Merlin Nationals was in 1970 and was held at Pwllheli, there were 220 competitors  (yes 220). Alan Warren sailing with Barry Dunning won the event, that was the third  time he had won the Nationals and he did again in 1973. Which was utterly  amazing.  We wanted to be in the first 100, and finished 99th,  it was  horrendously windy, we capsized 7 times in one race and finished  two minutes within the time limit. I have never been as cold as I got in that race, and I think I ended up with PTSD,  not because of the sailing, it was the stay at Butlins Holiday camp in Pwllheli!

Don’t forget to tie your boat down!

These two photos were taken at King George Sailing Club  after Storm Ishia had passed through.

Its a very simple message “Don’t forget to make sure your boat and the boats around  you are secure in the dinghy park”

Thank you to Rodger White and to Bob Ladell for letting us share this message.


David Little.

Today was David Little’s Funeral, he lived to 101 and was a true gentleman, I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to speak and tell the story of David’s live as a Merlin sailor.  Although he ran his own business he was always willing to come and support us at exhibitions and promote sailing, a sport he loved

This painting by John Canning was given to David who was  the helm of our launch at Salcombe Merlin Week as a gift for all of his efforts.

His thirst for life and resilience were just two reasons he lived such a long, happy, and successful life!

He will be sadly missed.


Things don’t seem to be slowing down!

It has been a bit of a manic year one way and another, and it doesn’t appear to be slowing down, perhaps when the autumn set in properly we will have a chance to have the odd weekend off!

1 2 3 17